Thursday, June 11, 2009

Leek, Potato and Oyster Soup


From "The Whole Beast", page 12.

First of all, I have to say that this is the first savory food cookbook I have ever cooked out of. Savory food... desserts and bread are another story completely. It is ironic, considering that I have a large collection of cook books with pretty pictures, and this one has no pictures. But it is also remarkable how accurate the recipes are and how well they have worked for me so far. It is not complicated and it is so straightforward that it almost would seem that something is missing, and yet it is not.
This recipe recommends using most of the leeks, including the green part. I usually have only known the white part to be used. But as you can see from the picture, the soup is very vibrant green. That could not have been done without the green leafy part.
It also seemed that there was way too much leek. 9 pieces total, which is why I chose smaller leeks as opposed to big fatties. It turned out to be just the right amount.


The soup is easily done in very little time. The flavor is intense and the texture smooth and velvety. I have to say, that I didn't "get" the oyster part. I enjoyed the actual soup tremendously, but the two sad oysters sitting in the bowl did very little for me. I mean, look at how sad and lonely they look in the bowl just above. So I took the liberty of shucking five more oysters, coating them simply with bread flour seasoned with salt and pepper, and then deep frying them. I was happier with the texture they added, and to find more than two of them in the bowl. Is it wrong that I enjoyed my version a little more? Did I miss something? I mean, the oysters were very fresh, plump and flavorful on their own, but I think I may have missed something that was a little to subtle for my palate. Besides, I love fried oysters.

No comments:

Post a Comment